A: It is beyond me how you and Oscar can be roommates. You’re very tidy and he’s, well, a slob.
我真不明白你和Oscar怎么能成为室友的。你如此整洁,而他那么邋遢。
B: It’s not always easy, but we’re making it work.
确实不容易,但是我们做到了。
A: Isn’t Oscar really messy all the time? Whenever I see him, his clothes are rumpled and his hair is unkempt.
难道Oscar不是一直很邋遢吗?我每次见到他,都是衣服皱巴巴,头发乱蓬蓬的。
B: His room is really cluttered, but he keeps the common areas in passable condition. I do have to straighten up often, and I sometimes have to pick up after him, but that’s because I’m pretty picky.
他的房间确实乱七八糟,但是公共区域还是可以接受的。我确实需要经常清理,有时甚至跟在他后面收拾,但那是因为我很挑剔。
A: That’s very tolerant of you.
你太宽容了。
B: Well, we have set up a system so that if things get too messy, I have some recourse.
我们制定了规章制度,如果太乱了,我有追索权。
A: What’s your system?
你们的规章制度是什么呢?
B: Oscar and I agreed that every time he leaves a big mess, I can fine him.
我和Oscar一致同意,每次他把房间弄得太乱,我可以罚款。
A: That seems kind of drastic, but maybe it works for you guys.
这听上去非常严厉,不过或许对你们来说管用。
B: Yes, it keeps the place pretty clean.
是的,这样可以让我们的房间非常整洁。