Listen

Description

Johnson  accused of hypocrisy over G7 girls’ education pledge

七国峰会上,约翰逊“冠冕堂皇”的承诺?

Announcement  of £430m funding for 90 countries comes only weeks after ‘inexcusable’ foreign aid cuts

在其做出“不可饶恕”的对外援助削减决策仅几周之后,约翰逊又宣布了4.3亿英镑针对90国家的援助资金

Boris  Johnson was accused of hypocrisy after announcing at the G7 leaders’ summit he would provide £430m of extra UK funding for girls’ education in 90 developing countries – only weeks after his government made “inexcusable cuts” of more than £200m to funding set aside for the same cause this year.

约翰逊在七国集团领导人峰会上宣布,英国将额外为90个发展中国家的女童教育提供4.3亿资金,此举却被批虚伪:仅在几周之前,约翰逊政府就该议题宣布削减超过2亿资金,被认为“不可饶恕”。

The  foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, announced in April that he was providing only £400m from the main UK aid budget for girls’ education in 2021, down from £600m in 2019.

英国外交大臣拉布四月份宣布,将在2021年从英国援助预算中拨款仅4亿英镑用于女童教育,相比2019年削减了2亿英镑。

Johnson  has dismissed stories of aid cuts, and their consequences, as “lefty propaganda”, but refused to hold a Commons vote on the issue.

约翰逊却将援助削减的报道及其后果蔑称为“左派宣传”,但是拒绝就此事在上议院进行投票。

The  extra £430m over five years announced on Friday is part of a regular earmarked British contribution to the multilateral Global Partnership for Education (GPE).

周五,约翰逊宣布了该项4.3亿的未来五年的额外资金,作为英国向多边组织“全球教育伙伴关系”定期预留捐款的一部分。

Although  the agencies welcomed the UK’s contribution, they said they feared Johnson’s efforts to persuade other countries to step up to the plate on this, and other development issues, had been hobbled by his failure to lead by example by instead cutting the overall aid budget by as much as £4bn in 2021.

尽管相关机构表示欢迎英国的捐款,但它们也表示担忧,认为约翰逊说服其他国家行动起来以应对教育和其他发展问题的努力将收不到成效,他在2021年将整体援助预算削减了40亿英镑之多,没有起到带头作用。

Announcing  the cash, Johnson said: “It is a source of international shame that every day around the world children bursting with potential are denied the chance to become titans of industry, scientific pioneers or leaders in any field, purely because they are female, their parents’ income or the place they were born.

在宣布该项资金时,约翰逊表示:“全世界每一天都有潜力无限的孩童仅因为性别、父母收入以及出生地的原因,失去了成为业界大亨、科学先驱或是任何领域领袖的机会,这是国际社会的耻辱。”

“ I am calling on other world leaders, including those here at the G7, to also donate and put us firmly on a path to get more girls into the classroom, address the terrible setback to global education caused by coronavirus and help the world build back better.”

“在此,我呼吁全世界的领导人,包括七国集团在座的领导人,也加入到捐款的行列中,携手前行,让更多女童接受教育,解决疫情给全球教育带来的困难,帮助世界更好地恢复。”

Lis  Wallace, head of UK advocacy at One, said the £430m “falls short of what’s expected of the summit host, so it must be the preface of the story, not the conclusion.

UK advocacy at One运动领导人丽思·华莱士表示“4.3亿英镑并没有达到我们对峰会东道国的期待,所以这只能是故事的开端,而不是故事的结束。”

“ Announcing this while G7 leaders are in Cornwall is a sign the UK seeks to leverage its diplomatic influence to encourage others. Yet cuts to the aid budget for girls’ education of 25% are undermining these efforts and mean that calls for others to step up border on hypocrisy.”

“当七国集团领导人在康沃尔参会时宣布该项资金,这显示了英国寻求利用其外交影响力来鼓励其他人。然而将女童教育的援助预算削减25%这一行为和其目标背道而驰,而且呼吁其他人行动起来也近乎虚伪。”

As  a result of government secrecy, and the relabelling of aid spending into new thematic categories, the precise level of the cuts to girls’ education is contentious.

出于政府保密,而且英国政府将援助开支归入新的开支类别之中,女童教育援开支削减的精确数目仍然备受争议。