Listen

Description


First, I smiled to myself and felt elate.

我先是暗自发笑,感到十分得意。

But this fierce pleasure subsided in me as fast as did the accelerated throb of my pulses.

但是这种狂喜犹如一时加快的脉膊会迅速递减一样,很快就消退了。

A child cannot quarrel with its elders, as I had done; cannot give its furious feelings uncontrolled play,

一个孩子像我这样跟长辈斗嘴,像我这样毫无顾忌地发泄自己的怒气,

as I had given mine, without experiencing afterwards the pang of remorse and the chill of reaction.

事后必定要感到悔恨和寒心。

A ridge of lighted heath, alive, glancing, devouring, would have been a meet emblem of my mind when I accused and menaced Mrs. Reed.

我在控诉和恐吓里德太太时,内心恰如一片点燃了的荒野,火光闪烁,来势凶猛。

The same ridge, black and blasted after the flames are dead, would have represented as meetly my subsequent condition,

我内心的这片荒地,便已灰飞烟灭,留下的只有黑色的焦土了。

when half-an-hour's silence and reflection had shown me the madness of my conduct, and the dreariness of my hated and hating position.

但经过半小时的沉默和反思,深感自己行为的疯狂和自己恨人又被人嫉恨的处境的悲凉时,

Something of vengeance I had tasted for the first time.

我第一次尝到了复仇的滋味。




And aromatic wine it seemed, on swallowing, warm and racy.

犹如芬芳的美酒,喝下时热辣辣好受。

Its after-flavour, metallic and corroding, gave me a sensation as if I had been poisoned.

但回味起来却又苦又涩,给人有中了毒的感觉。

Willingly would I now have gone and asked Mrs. Reed's pardon.

此刻,我很乐意去求得里德太太的宽恕。

But I knew, partly from experience and partly from instinct, that was the way to make her repulse me with double scorn,

但经验和直觉告诉我,那只会使她以加倍的蔑视讨厌我,

thereby re-exciting every turbulent impulse of my nature.

因而会重又激起我天性中不安份的冲动。

I would fain exercise some better faculty than that of fierce speaking.

我愿意发挥比说话刻薄更高明的才能。

Fain find nourishment for some less fiendish feeling than that of sombre indignation.

也愿意培养比郁愤更好的情感。

I took a book — some Arabian tales; I sat down and endeavoured to read.

我取了一本阿拉伯故事书,坐下来很想看看。

I could make no sense of the subject.

我却全然不知所云。

My own thoughts swam always between me and the page I had usually found fascinating.

我的思绪飘忽在我自己与平日感到引人入胜的书页之间。

I opened the glass-door in the breakfast-room.

打开早餐室的玻璃门。

The shrubbery was quite still. The black frost reigned, unbroken by sun or breeze, through the grounds.

只见灌木丛中一片—沉寂,虽然风和日丽,严霜却依然覆盖着大地。

I covered my head and arms with the skirt of my frock, and went out to walk in a part of the plantation which was quite sequestrated.

我撩起衣裙裹住脑袋和胳膊,走出门去,漫步在一片僻静的树林里。

But I found no pleasure in the silent trees, the falling fir-cones, the congealed relics of autumn,

但是沉寂的树木、掉下的杉果,以及那凝固了的秋天的遗物,

russet leaves, swept by past winds in heaps, and now stiffened together.

被风吹成一堆如今又冻结了的行褐色树叶,都没有给我带来愉快。